Gateshead Jewish Community

Gateshead is the home to a small community of ultra-orthodox Jews, which is known worldwide for its educational institutions. Talmudic students from many countries come to Gateshead to attend its Yeshivas and Kollels, and girls come to study at its teacher training college.

Synagogue 1

Gateshead Synagogue, Bewick Road. 26th January 2000. The Synagogue was opened in 1938, and replaced an earlier synagogue in Corbitt Street

Synagogue 2

Gateshead Synagogue, Bewick Road, 29th December 2000

Yeshiva 1

Gateshead Talmudical College, Windermere Street. 26th January 2000. Though Gateshead is little known in most parts of the world, amongst Orthodox Jews its Yeshiva is considered one of the most important training institutions in Europe.

Yeshiva 2

Gateshead Talmudical College, Windermere Street. 29th December 2000

Sunderland Talmudical College

Sunderland Talmudical College, Prince Consort Road. This Yeshiva was originally sited (as its name suggests) in Sunderland, but with the decline of the Jewish Community there, moved to Gateshead some years ago. The building in which it is housed was previously the offices of the Gateshead Education Board. Photographed 4th March 2002

Sunderland Talmudical College

Photographed 4th March 2002

Gateshead Seminary

Beth Midrash Lemoroth, the women's teacher training college, occupies much of this terrace on Bewick Road. 29th December 2000

Gateshead Jewish Academy for Girls

Beis Chaya Rochel, a new women's seminary opened recently on Shipcote Lane, close to the Sunderland Talmudical College. Photographed 4th March 2002

Be'er HaTorah Yeshiva

Housed in the former YWCA building on the junction between Bewick Road and Prince Consort Road. Photographed 29th December 2000

Be'er HaTorah Yeshiva

Plaque on wall. Photographed 13th July 2002

Mishkan Torah Yeshiva

Up until recently all the Jewish institutions were in a small area of less than one square mile. Mishkan Torah, the Gateshead Academy For Torah Studies is located over a mile away, in Whinney House (originally built in the 1860s by colliery owner Edward Joicey). Photographed 4th March 2002

Mishkan Torah Yeshiva

Photographed 4th March 2002

Return to photo albums directory